Edmonton Global News segment - aired Tuesday, January 8, 2019.
Phase 1 of the Morinville Leisure Centre project will:
• Sustain the provision of one indoor ice in Morinville.
• Enhance wellness and physical activity opportunities by providing space for walking/running and fitness programming.
• Provide indoor multi-purpose space to meet programming needs for indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball and a variety of other programs.
• Provide an emergency reception center
Project Update (as of February 26, 2019):
- The CAO and Administration are meeting on a regular basis with Clark Builders and Stantec Architecture.
- Rink boards & fixed seating is installed
- Fieldhouse dasher boards to be installed early March with flooring to follow
- Locker rooms are all complete
- Ice plant is complete with commissioning taking place late March and ice installed in April
- Millwork, finishing of drywall, electrical, data cabling and sound system installation work ongoing
- Fitness equipment, office/building furniture and play space furnishing to be completed late April
- Project is estimated to be 83% complete based on the overall construction schedule and billing progress to date
- May 2019 Opening
- The project is on time and on budget
At the June 27, 2017 Regular Meeting of Council, one motion was moved:
- That Council approve modifying the scope of the regional recreation centre project to include a field house with a total cost of $24.3 million.
At the June 20, 2017 Special Meeting of Council, four motions were moved:
- That Council direct Administration to add to the June 27, 2017 Regular Meeting of Council a discussion on expanding the scope of the regional recreation centre project to include a field house with funding options and details.
- That Council present information to Sturgeon County on expanding scope of regional recreation centre project to include a field house with funding options and details at their June 27, 2017 meeting for consideration and discussion before the IAC meeting.
- That Council direct Administration to add funding request to the July 4 IAC meeting agenda.
- That Council direct Administration to add disbanding the IAC Sub-committee to the July 4 IAC meeting agenda.